Genetic testing consists of a range of tests on samples of DNA taken from hair, blood, saliva, amniotic fluid and other tissues. A few hundred hereditary tests are being used as of now, and more are being developed.
These are the various areas where hereditary tests play a prominent role:
• To discover the possibility of an unborn child inheriting a hereditary disease.
• To check if the individual has an ailment and if he or she can pass on the said hereditary malady to their posterity.
• Genetic tests are proposed for screening fetuses for detecting possible diseases.
• There are various diseases in our body whose symptoms aren't externally visible. Through DNA tests, such hidden disorders can be spotted, and a course of treatment can easily be determined.
• Genetic tests are additionally recommended to affirm a malady. There are cases wherein a symptom might not be enough to warrant a particular illness. Genetic tests, therefore, allow you to be on the safer side of things.
Genetic tests are of utmost importance in situations like:
• Identifying the medical problem
With the aid of genetic screening test, physicians can identify a gene that's "off-color"; ie the genes which are / might be the reason for the medical ailment that you are suffering from. For example, liver issues can be associated with changes in the MTM1 gene and threatening hypothermia can be due to mutations in RYR1.
• Course of treatment
Genetic testing is presumably one of the innovative and most encouraging fields in medical world. With the advent of gene testing, the new treatments are even more specific and accurate as they are based on exact mutation within a gene, particularly in cancer treatment. Furthermore, in the pediatric world, there are medications for kids with cystic fibrosis that works for kids with particular changes in the CFTR quality. This is the world of genetically personalized medicine, and it's now available in your clinics and doctor's facilities. This testing guarantees effectiveness of the treatment.
• Prenatal Testing
Pre-birth genetic testing has always been a controversial topic. Prenatal genetic diagnostic testing largely affects an unborn child. For eg, tumors like Retinoblastoma can be fostered due to changes in the RB1 gene. Do you know that such tumors can obscure a child's vision shortly after birth if it isn't immediately dealt with? During such unfortunate turn of events, treatments can commence right after delivery.
• Family planning
Genetic diagnosis can help the individuals in comprehending how certain disorders are passed on to generations. With genetic tests, families are aware of the potential risks of having a child with disorders. This valuable information guide people in making the right decisions about having kids.
This is yet another highly debated topic. Genetics is an exciting field that is waiting to be explored. As the individuals who undergo genetic tests rise, the insight gained can be enormous which leads to the inception of new drugs and cures.
Genetic tests can sometimes surprise you and may lead you towards more questions. It is necessary that you consult healthcare professionals and genetic counsellors and work together. Sometimes genetic screening can be conducted on a large number of individuals to reveal the people who are at high risk of having specific disorders. Genetic screening and testing often work hand in hand to save lives and one should not undermine it. As mentioned, prenatal diseases and puzzling ailments can be effectively diagnosed for a happy and healthy future.