Most yoga classes are held at health clubs or dedicated yoga studios. If you are an instructor you may want to think outside the box and find an interesting and creative place to hold your class. Here are some ideas.
- The beach provides a tranquil and beautiful place to have a class. You can do a sunrise or sunset class. Students can bring a large beach towel or blanket in place of a mat. Tell them to perhaps bring a hat and suntan lotion as well. You may have to have a backup location in the case of rain, or notify students that class would be cancelled in the case of inclement weather. Check with your local county to see if you need any permits. You can ask students to pay by donation in the case that the county does not allow you to collect fees on the beach. Also, look for a beach that will provide ample parking.
- Have your class by a pool. Resorts, country clubs, tennis clubs, yacht clubs and private residential communities all have pools. Contact them and see if you can offer a class to their members or residents.
- Botanical gardens provide a scenic and quiet place to practice yoga. Check your local state or city botanical gardens and see if you can offer a class. Many botanical gardens have pavilions or even indoor community rooms that you may be able to use.
- Public libraries often have rooms to offer services to the community. You may be able to have a class their either by donation or offer a percentage of the fees you collect as a donation to the library. One advantage to having a class in the library is that it is quiet! You can bring candles that run on batteries to give a soft light to the room.
- Spiritual stores, book stores or cafes are some innovative places to have a class. Many of these places have small rooms in the back for holding workshops or meetings. By having your class in a store or cafe you are helping them by bringing them customers who may purchase things at their establishments before or after your class.
- Senior citizen homes usually have a place where the residents can get together to socialize. Offering a class here will help those people who find it hard to travel. Giving senior citizens an easy way to exercise without leaving their home will help give them a higher quality of life.
- Believe it or not I have heard of a class at a nightclub. The nightclub has a rooftop patio and there is a yoga class there before the club actually opens.
- If you have the space you can have a small class in your own home. Make one of your rooms a yoga studio by decorating with soothing colors, candles and pillows. Check with your local zoning laws about having a business in your house.
Remember that when holding a class outside of a regular workout facility you should have the proper liability insurance and have students sign waivers to protect yourself and the facility in the case that anyone gets injured.