Angular cheilitis (Angular Stomatitis and Perleche) is a swollen scratch at the corner of the mouth that often occurs in both corners of the mouth. The scratches can bleed when the mouth is opened in severe cases of angular cheilitis and in some cases ulcers may form.
Although fungal infection that has been linked to nutritional deficiencies is the root cause of the angular cheilitis particularly deficiencies in iron, riboflavin, zinc, or vitamin B-2. Frequently, angular cheilitis is seen in the elderly population that experiences a loss of perpendicular measurement due to tooth loss, leading to over closure of the mouth.
With dentures, many people develop angular cheilitis as the angular position of the fake teeth may not fit properly. In this situation, the skin can become damp with saliva, which can be the perfect environment for fungal bacteria to flourish.
The same fungus that causes a yeast infection (Candida) can be a cause of the angular cheilitis fungal infection. A culture of the affected area can be tested by your dermatologist to see if you have the bacteria present. If you have an immune system deficiency, he may also do a blood test to see.
More appropriate angular cheilitis remedies are the creams that have antifungal and antibacterial properties. Some of the angular cheilitis remedies are as under:
- Echinacea: It boosts the immune system of the body to help fight off infections, and it has been widely used to treat the symptoms of infections.
- Goldenseal: Typically, this is used as an antibiotic. Often, it is used together with Echinacea to defend against the common cold or the flu.
- Rose Hips: Vitamin C is obtained by it.
- Chamomile: Often, this is used for soothing overly hassled nerves, relieving stomach pain, stopping ulcers, and fighting infection.
- Garlic: With natural anti-viral properties, this is a potent natural antibiotic. In the reduction of cholesterol, it aids and stops the formation of inside blood clots that activate heart attacks.
- Slippery Elm Bark: For calming sore throats, coughs, and stomach disorders, this is helpful.
- Ginseng: To motivate the immune system, this is used and it aids protecting of the liver from toxic things. Extensively, it has been used to enhance stamina.
- Dandelion: This is useful in relieving premenstrual swelling.
- Feverfew: In the prevention of megrim headaches, this has been used to aid.
- Raspberry Leaf: This is well-liked in the healing of morning sickness and uterine infection. It is also known to aid in the prevention of miscarriage.
- Spearmint & Peppermint: Typically, these are used in the treatment of indigestion.
- Comfrey: Often, this is used in the treatment of cuts or bruises.
- Senna: This is a very powerful natural purgative.
- Uva Ursi: As a natural diuretic this is used, and it is also known for its urinary antiseptic effects.
- Ginger: To prevent motion sickness, this has been used and also in the prevention of internal blood clots that trigger heart attacks.
- Licorice: It is digestive aid, and good for soothing sore throats and treating ulcers.
Keep in mind, before starting any kind of angular cheilitis remedies, learn as much as possible about any contraindication or any allergy that you may have and you may want to consult with a dermatologist to help.